Autumn is the perfect time of year to focus on better sleep, vitamin-rich foods, exercise, goal setting and more. In fact, if you take the time to take advantage of all that autumn has to offer, it can be a great seasonal helper for your overall health and recovery. These tips will help ensure that you have a fun, happy and healthy fall season.
- Get goal setting. A new season brings a new opportunity to evaluate your recovery goals. Make a list and make sure that your goals are SMART – the acronym for specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely. To help keep you accountable, share them with your addiction counselor or a loved one.
- Soak in nature. Changing leaves and cooler temperatures make the ideal combination for a scenic hike or morning jog. Plus, you’ll get a healthy dose of Vitamin D, known to boost happiness and improve concentration.
- Visit your local farmer’s market. From pumpkins to pomegranates to apples and kale, fall produce is bursting with vitamins essential for your recovery. Stock up and experiment with some fall-inspired recipes.
- Air out your home. Crack the windows and feel the cool, crisp air of autumn. This will help you fend off germs and sleep better. The ideal temperature for snoozing, after all, is between 60 and 68 degrees F, according to the National Sleep Foundation.
- Give back. Thanksgiving is around the corner and it’s a great reminder to do a few good deeds. Giving can take many forms, big and small, so explore a few possibilities both inside and outside your recovery community.
Tis the Season for Recovery
There’s no better time than now to reach out if you or a loved one is needing support achieving a fulfilling life of recovery. At NorthStar, our mission is to walk the recovering person through their entire first year of sobriety with the support system that gives them every chance to maintain wellness in their recovery. To learn more about our treatment programs and services, call today: 303-625-6335.