We don’t have to tell you that recovery comes with its fair share of changes and challenges to your life. Especially during the early stages, you may feel overwhelmed and like everything you once knew is now different.
To help combat these feelings and provide structure for a new sober life, it pays to establish some healthy routines. Creating daily routines can also help with focus and balance in your life, which are both essential for making good choices, reaching sobriety goals and achieving lasting sobriety.
Your everyday tasks don’t have to be big or complicated. In fact, experts say that even something as simple as making your bed daily can help set the tone for a positive, productive day.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration recommends making the following tasks part of your daily routine to maintain wellness. Check out the list and then add to it as you find activities that help you stay positive and promote your recovery:
- Stick to a regular sleep/wake schedule.
- Eat three healthy meals and three healthy snacks, including whole grain foods, vegetables and smaller portions of protein.
- Drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of water.
- Get exposure to outdoor light for at least 30 minutes.
- Take medications and/or vitamin supplements.
- Have 20 minutes of relaxation or meditation time or writing in a journal for at least 15 minutes.
- Spend 30 minutes enjoying a fun, affirming and/or creative activity or hobby.
- Check in with your partner/spouse for at least 10 minutes.
- Check in with yourself: “How am I doing physically, emotionally, spiritually?”
- Go to work if it’s a workday.
Sober Living & Accountability
To ensure you stay on track with your sobriety goals and plan ahead for independence, NorthStar Transitions offers clients gender-specific sober living communities. To apply for sober living in Colorado, call today: 303-625-6335.